Thursday, January 25, 2018

The Glock 19 and why I think there are better options.
The Glock 19 is one of the most iconic option in 9mm for a concealed handgun option there is, it might even be the most popular option. Many people like the Glock line for their simplicity and reliability however I don’t agree 100% that it is the BEST option. I have owned three Glock pistols and I sold the first one which was a Glock 36 and I am ready to sell the other two that I own currently which are the Glock 19 Gen. 4 and Glock 42.


I purchased the Glock 19 for one reason and one reason only and that’s because I get people asking me all the time if I have one that they can try during their concealed handgun class. I have shot several of them and I have to admit from the Glock line the 19 is one of my favorites. However I have had the opportunity to shoot and work with a couple of other pistols that are similar in size, weight and magazine capacity that I believe out shine the Glock 19.


What I don’t like about Glocks
There are 2 things that I absolutely do with Glocks and suggest for others to do.
1.      Is the trigger I find the Glock triggers to be very stiff and gummy feeling not smooth and all and I really dislike them. The only one I have not changed is the Glock 42 but that’s primarily because of a lack of options. Though the Glock 42 is my current EDC is because it’s light and easily concealed.
2.      The sights! I can deal with the factory sights on Glock’s but I always change them to something better. I am really liking the straight 8, I-Dot or XS Sights if you are wondering what my preferences are.


These two things are a big deal for me and really reflect my decisions on whether I buy them or not. I might shoot the pistol perfectly find but I don’t feel you should have to struggle to find comfort shooting your carry gun.


What are the other options that I believe are better
The first one I think is a better option is the Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 9 Compact. With more options on sights from the factory, a better smoother feeling trigger, the options of having an ambidextrous thumb safety and a very aggressive grip with a more natural feeling grip I find this pistol much better than the Glock 19.  The downside of the M&P 9c 2.0 is the also one of the benefits. Though the grips are extremely easy to hang on to they are also very aggressive and you need to consider how you plan to carry it when you buy it.


The second one option is the Sig Sauer P320c. Now the options on the sights are not as vast as the M&P2.0 but the trigger is much better. I still like the trigger in the M&P better but it is still much better than the Glock in my opinion. The P320 is a very modular platform that you can easily change frame sizes or calibers without buying a new gun. The trigger system is the part that is serialized not the frame, slide or anything else in the pistol. Makes for a very good option in my opinion. Though this pistol is the largest of the three it is not a huge difference.


I find that I actually shoot both these options better than the Glock 19 and even had a student who liked my Glock 19 but I suggested a M&P 2.0 9C and he likes it even better also and shoots it better.

Comparison
Brand / Model
Size
Weight
Magazine Capacity
Barrel Length
Glock 19
7.36in Length
1.18 in Width
4.99in  Height
23.65oz
15+1
4.01in
Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 9c
7.3in Length
1.3in Width
5in Height
24oz
15+1
4in
Sig Sauer P320c
7.2in Length
1.3in Width
5.3 in Height
25.8 oz
15+1
3.9in

As you can see size and weight wise the Glock 19 comes in weighing less and is smaller to some degree than the comparable pistols I have listed. Though all very similar the weight and overall height is what varies the most between the Glock 19 and Sig Sauer P320c. The weight I think is the biggest issue in size when talking about an EDC pistol. The simple fact is the weight is what tends to get uncomfortable for a lot of people. This is why smaller pistols are so popular for everyday carry. Some people the weight doesn’t bother and others it is a real problem. So it’s something you have to consider and decide for yourself and what your body can handle. I used to carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45acp. Concealing it was never a problem but after carrying the Glock 42 my back and hips are very thankful. This is why I am so excited about the Sig Sauer P365. Weight has become more of a concern for me.

Other Opinions
As part of this review I have had people who were novice shooters or brand new to shooting try both the Glock 19 and Sig Sauer P320c. The first person is a larger built person, strong and able to control any of these guns without a problem. This person was the first to compare side by side and had never shot a firearm before. His grouping with each were pretty equal with a slight difference not enough to really consider an argument point. However watching his control of each of the pistols I could tell he was having a bit more of a problem with the Glock 19. On the way back from the range I asked him which one he preferred and he said he liked them both but if he were to pick one it would be the P320c.

Yet again I had the opportunity to let someone shoot my P320c only this time this person was a very experienced shooter and an outstanding marksman. This person is a police officer and carries a Glock 17 on duty and one of his off duty carry options is a Glock 26. He has been considering the Glock 43 for quite some time also. His comment was simply that he really liked the trigger in the P320c and the reset was even better. He is now considering purchasing one and even recommended it to his wife who is also a police officer.

This past weekend we had a class and I took the opportunity to let a couple more people shoot the P320c and give their opinion on it for this article. One person was our new business partner who is an ex-marine and retired police officer. This particular individual is an outstanding shooter, very accurate. He has carried both a Beretta and Glock on duty with the most time being with the Glock. He also typically carries a Glock as his everyday carry however admittedly it is a .45 and not a 9mm. Still a Glock is a Glock is a Glock in my opinion, same trigger and feel in all of them. Of course this has been one of the selling features for law enforcement, military as well as civilian instructors and people who carry every day. Consistency develops skill because if you are not learning a different weapons platform all the time you get used to one and you can shoot them all taking into consideration the caliber and being able to control it.

His take on it was like everyone’s so far in that he really liked the accuracy and feel of the gun. Keep in mind that he was shooting solely one handed since he just had rotator cuff surgery and is still in a sling. His grouping and control was equivalent to a lot of people shooting two handed. He said that given he was not used to the Glock’s and was looking for something he would not discount the P320c and would probably choose that over a Glock.

The other person who shot the P320c is the same person I had recommended the M&P 9c 2.0 to. Now again he is a newer shooter and not terribly familiar with different guns but he knows what feels good in his hands and how well he shoots them. He is not yet a person who could pick up anything and shoot it well but he made huge strides in his technique this past weekend and started shooting beautiful groups. As we were finishing up the day is when I let him shoot the P320c. He had shot a number of rounds that day and was getting a bit fatigued. After he shot it he asked what it was and told me he would like to get one. Not that he liked it better than his M&P necessarily but liked it enough that he wanted one. Now keep in mind he originally liked my Glock 19 Gen. 4 but after the M&P and now the P320c he has not even mentioned the Glock.

Conclusion
Given the results of this review on my opinion and others opinions I would suggest before jumping for the Glock 19 solely for the name or reputation I would consider other options. I am not by any means telling you what to spend your hard earned cash on, just offering some other thoughts. If you choose one of these options do it because your like it better than the others not because someone else tells you should buy something. I have bought too many pistols that I thought I would like only to turn around and sell them it is my hope to help others not make the same mistakes.

One of the big pluses for me is the ease of cleaning and modularity of the Sig Sauer P320 model it simply makes life easier. The feel, accuracy and reliability of the Sig Sauer P320 is why I am comfortable recommending it to my students and friends.

Update to this review
On December 4, 2018 I installed the Sig Sauer flat triger in my Sig Sauer P320C. I have only shot 5 rounds out of a P320sc with a flat trigger up to this point and that was enough for me to spend the $50 to get the flat trigger for my own. I am going to see how well it works for me before I get another one and install one in my P30C-RX. On the initial test of it with only dry fire the pull was significantly smoother and cleaner. I measured the trigger pull on it and it averaged 4.1lbs vs. the stock trigger at 5.9lbs according to my trigger gauge.  
After trying it the first time I liked the feel but, I should probably not have tried it the day I was teaching a class also. Was a bit shaky and not on my game at all. So I took it out this past weekend and I am thrilled with the performance. Note I didn’t change the trigger bar or trigger spring just the trigger itself and have seen an improvement. I personally think it is a great addition to the P320 platform.


Sig Sauer P320c Information

Smith & Wesson M&P 9c 2.0 Information

Glock 19 Information

Train Hard, Train Safe & Train Often!
Brandon L. Fisher
Precision Defensive Solutions
Twinsburg, Ohio

www.ncpda.us

No comments:

Post a Comment